Saturday, February 13, 2010

3G Alternator Rebuild

I purchased a used 3G 8.25" ear alternator off a 96 V6 Taurus (93-99 non SHO fits), and used http://fordfuelinjection.com/ to rebuild it. The most important thing I learned doing my research was when removing the windings not to pull on the assembly. Instead, turn it upside down and tap around the outside of the case to coax it out. Otherwise you will destroy the stator. Here's how I did it:

1. Use a 15/16" impact wrench to remove the front pulley. If it won't come loose, heat with an oxy torch around the edge of the nut and it will spin right off. 
2. Remove the voltage regulator with the correct Torx bit and inspect the brushes. Mine was covered in carbon and worn so I bought an entire assembly for $25 from the above site and it worked perfectly.
3. On the back of the case, remove the red power extension off the B+ terminal and use a 10 mm wrench to remove the 3 casing bolts.
4. Using a rubber mallet, tap the ears and the rear case will seperate. Remove the rotor. Then hold the alternator upside down and tap around the outside of the case until the stator and rectifier assembly fall out into your hand. Don't let it fall out and hit the bench as it will get damaged. Remove the plate and front bearing from the front case and clean.
5. I used aluminum cleaner to remove the carbon buildup from the case which was filthy when I started. Wipe down the stator and windings with brake cleaner, and clean the rotor up as best you can. I did not paint or coat either cases because I believe coatings negate the ability to dissipate heat.
6. Re assemble. Lightly grease the rotating assemblies and use anti-seize compound on the case bolts. There is a small spacer which goes inside the case between the rotor and the front case bearing, don't forget it. Don't overtighten the case bolts.
7. Took it up to AutoZone and tested out at 14.2 amps. Perfect. The 351W I am using for my build has old style hangers on it so the assembly bolted right up in place of the stock one I had.
8. Had an old 1G style alternator around from the 86 parts car, so I removed the Serpentine style pulley and re-used the old V Belt style pulley. I won't know if I have to externally shim the pulley out until I assemble everything.
Total Cost: $45

 



No comments:

Post a Comment