Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Parking Brake Conversion (with 8.8 axle)

One of the conversions I am installing is a late model Mustang e-brake handle along with the 96 Explorer 8.8 Rear Axle. The disc brakes facilitate a fairly straightforward installation.
1. Modify the E-brake handle
  -Weld the pawl between the second and third tooth
  - Cut off the tab marked in yellow at the right and remove the spring
  -Cut and remove spring, and tack weld remainder to prevent rattling or vibration
 - Order Ford Racing Part #2810. This connects the handle to the parking brake cable bracket. I re-used an old bracket off my 67 which hold the Explorer E Brake Cables perfectly. The stock pull will not work as it is not adjustable.

2. Use (2) LH Drivers Side Explorer Parking Brake cables from Rockauto.com because the passenger side is too long. I Used DORMAN C660003 Parking Brake Cable.


I went ahead and cleaned up the lower portion of the handle and spray painted it with Eastwood Chassis Black Satin (shown in primer below), as well as the connector bracket.


Recently, I found someone parting out an 88 GT on craigslist and was able to cut out the stamped piece from the transmission tunnel for $40. I plan to graft it right into the transmission tunnel of the 67 to mount the late model handle above. Also picked up an additional handle in the deal at no charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment