Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rear Axle

Because I am converting from a 6 cylinder / 3 speed drivetrain to a 351W / T-5 setup, I needed to upgrade the rear axle from the stock paperclip 7.5". Researching online, I observed the most cost efficient method would be to install one from a 96-01 Explorer. The 59.25" Explorer axle width is a perfect match for the 67-70 Mustang's, so I went ahead and got one cheap to drop in. In stock form they often contained a 3.73 Traction Loc, Disc Brakes, and 31 spline axles which should be sufficient for my use. The advantage of the Explorer setup relative to a standard Mustang axle is 31 spline versus 28 spline and disc brakes.


Axles present a challenge for me as I felt getting into particulars such as setting the lash would be a bit much, so I am putting it in the hands of a pro. I just got off the phone with Tim and he said the rebuild axle would be ready this weekend. He is reversing the spring perches, welding the tubes into the housings, removing the extra brackets and rebuilding the differential (once he opened it up he noticed the ring was broken). I sent over Ford Racing Kit M-4210-A rebuild kit ($39.88) and a 3.73 Ford Racing Ring and Pinion Set M-4209-F373N ($149.95), the Traction Loc discs were in good shape and didn't need replacement. Pinion angle is going to be set initially at 3 degrees. He is also installing an Inland Empire 1310 pinion yoke I sent over in place of the pinion flange, which I heard has clearance issues with the floorboards. In the meantime, I need to get to work adapting the Explorer shock plates to receive the EB1 shock mounts.

During the build Tim called and indicated the Mustang 8.8 Axle Bearing and Seal Kit M-1225-B I ordered is too small and wouldn't fit, which makes sense because of the larger axles. Went down to NAPA and purchased two Axle Bearings R1559-TV ($17.58) and two Outer Seals 16404 ($3.09) for a total of $41.34 and dropped them off to him.

5/28: Picked up the finished axle last weekend, it looks incredible. In addition to the above modifications, he went ahead and narrowed the drivers side tube to match the shorter passenger side. I'll go ahead and find an extra passenger side axle shaft for the narrowed side. This is good news because now the pumpkin is centered in the transmission tunnel which should eliminate any clearance issues.

Initially I planned to re-use the driveshaft from the 86 Mustang drivetrain donor, shorten it to ~50" and get it balanced. However, over on VMF I read that someone put a stock driveshaft from a late 90's Explorer (96-99 V6 4 door) into a 67 Mustang with the 8.8 rear end and it bolted right up with no modifications. So, I got one from a guy I know for $30 and the dimensions are perfect. Plus its aluminum, which saves me the $300+ I was planning to spend for a driveshaft but gives me the benefits of the upgrade. Junkyard Gold! I did discover the T-5 yoke from the donor Mustang is a 1310 style U Joint (Neapco 1-0153 od 3.219") whereas the Explorer uses a 1330 (Neapco 2-4800 od 3.622"). Therefore, I have to use a conversion U Joint, either a Neapco 1-0134 or NAPA #353 for $19.99.

Looking at getting an LBW girdle, the stock 8.8 differential cover has no drain or fill plugs in it.

As far as modifying the spring perches, to covert the EB1 mounts I am thinking about using female rod ends for the springs. Gives me a wider range of motion for the shear on the shock angles.

Still on the to do list is rebuild the parking brakes and calipers. NAPA sent me the wrong rebuild kit for the rear calipers, so I need to figure out a new plan of attack.




Total Cost:
$400 Labor
$250 Axle Core
$150 3.73 Ring and Pinion (unplanned expense)
$50 Bearings and Seals







No comments:

Post a Comment